A really good weekend of tidying the garden. We had our first frosts this week after some nice clear skies. This stuffed a few of the tender plants, so I got on with lifting them.
On Saturday I did:
- Dug up and trimmed all of my Dahlias. Good tubors on most of them, except Dahlia ‘David Howard’, which is a bit small as it was in a cramped pot. I will set them upside down for a couple of weeks and then store them over the winter.
- Lifted my Gladioli Corms and sorted. Should do well.
- Lifted my Allium sphaerocepalon which was in the Main Bed Top. These had started sprouting, so I potted them up temporarily. They will go back in when I’ve sorted the bed out.
- Planted up Tulipa ‘Marilyn’ in the square pot.
- Picked out a load of vine weevils out of a Celery plant, which is a bit knackered.
On Sunday I spent a couple of hours sorting out the Main Bed Top. Including:
- I dug up and threw out Milium effusum ‘Aureum’. Didn’t fit and it just looks like a bit of weed grass. Another rubbish Plants Galore plant.
- I dug up and potted on Baptisia ‘Solar Flare’. Going to plant it into my main bed, but it is on the patio for now.
- Dug up and potted on Primula denticulata ‘Alba’. Not sure where to put it yet.
- Dug up and moved: Foeniculum vulgare ‘Purpureum’, Lavandula stoechas, Dianthus ‘Red Claret’, Dianthus ‘Bridal Star’, Brunnera macrophylla ‘Jack Frost’. Repositioned and planted them all back in the bed with a bit of added compost.
- I split and replanted Tulbaghia ‘Purple Eye’ (3 bits) and another spiky plant which I don’t know the name of (5 bits). Added these around the bed.
- Re-planted Allium sphaerocepalon that I dug up yesterday!
Really pleased with how it turned out.